Saturday, July 5, 2008

Peach Pie and a Lack of Fireworks

Our fourth of July was pretty tame this year. Well, in comparison to last year.

One year ago, on July 4th, 2007, Ian was toting around the engagement ring as we headed to Central Winds Park for their annual fireworks desplay. Only thing was, I KNEW the ring was in the backpack.

I mean, come on. When has Ian ever packed a bag and carried it around voluntarily? And when has he ever insisted that I not touch it or get anything out of it.

So, of course, all night long I was SO excited to finally be engaged. The night was wonderful. We had a picnic in the back of the MDX, then set up camp in the park. There was a cheerfully outgoing drunk man next to us, and a rumbunctious family in front of us. We laid back to watch the fireworks, and I kept saying to myself "Now, is when he is going to propose. ...... or....NOW."

Unfortunately, the drunk man proved to be an irritant for my now husband, and I guess, in his head, it was not the perfect moment. So we headed home. Him, a very irritated soon to be fiance, and me, and EXTREMELY agitated soon to be fiance.

*Sigh* I love fourth of July.

This year was pretty uneventful though. We woke up and hit the road for O-town, got in around 12, and helped the lunch preparations become under way.

*Gasp!* Did you know....peaches can be skinned? I mean, I guess I knew that. I have had peach cobbler before and there was no skin on it. I just assumed it was a super human feat and the factories must be where peaches were skinned.

Well, my mother-in-law skinned a whole bunch of peaches, and I, in my stuper of amazement, sliced them up. We made a wonderful peach pie, and then I headed out for my quick "errand."

I stopped by Mrs. Angela's house! But no one was there. And I was very disappointed. So I said to myself, where could they be? Out with her mom at the beach? Perhaps. At Grandma Joyce's? Probably not. At the Vargas'? Possibly.

And since the Vargas' were only a street or two over, and they were on my list to visit too, I hopped on over there, hoping that they would be home at least.

I pulled in and saw two vans sitting in the driveway. "I hit the motherlode!" I said, then quickly scampered up to the door and rang the doorbell.

You can read all about it here.

It was alot of fun to see everyone, I miss both of those families SO much. Spent a little time hanging out there before heading back to the house to eat a wonderful lunch. Then we headed out to the movies to see Hancock-which was a very surprising movie!

We were going to go out to eat, but were stuffed still from lunch, so Ian and I hit the road and came home. Spent the evening listening to fire crackers from the parking lot, and worked on the grocery list for next week's meals.

So that is it for now. Today's activities include running errands, reading, and working on my French. More about that later...


Angela said...

I'm still smiling, Brittney!!! You made MY 4th of July EXTRA SPECIAL!! You are a gifted writer, I love reading your blog and keeping up with ya-- it gives me great peace and joy to know that you're so happy and doing so well! Oh but....... FRENCH??? I can't wait to hear about that! LOL.


Emily said...

Brittany- you are this family's favorite firecracker! You definitely brought the spark to our Fourth of July!! Thank you for visiting us!!! We felt very honored to be on your list of folks to visit on a short visit home!! You rock!!