Tuesday, May 19, 2009


Last weekend, Ian's parents treated us to a night at Paradise.

Actually, it would be considered my second paradise.

My first would be Hawk's Cay Resort, down in the Florida Keys. Seriously, who wouldn't want to go HERE? (I'm thinking that if I brag about it enough, SURELY someone will give me a free stay, right?)

So, second paradise. As I was saying, Ian's parents were staying the weekend at the Portofino Bay Resort at Universal Studios, as their getaway weekend. So, for our one year anniversary (next month,) they treated us to a night at the hotel, and dinner and a movie!
The whole hotel is themed in the Italian genre, though I really don't know much about decorating. I will say it was beautiful, with people waiting on you round the clock, which is my kind of hotel stay!

Now, the theme parks are all about 30-45 minutes away for us, so you would think that this wouldn't be very relaxing.....but it was!

We arrived to our room after a little incident. You see, as we parked our car and grabbed our luggage, Ian's bag of hygeine stuff wasn't inside his suitcase. And mind you, he packs like a man, so his "bag," was really just a plastic grocery bag filled with all hygeine items. So, I, being the wife I am, told him I was going to put the ever so embarressing grocery bag inside of his backpack (because who doesn't bring a hiker's pack to a 5 star hotel?)

Well, while stuffing that grocery bag into his bright yellow back pack, I felt a tug on my thumb, and quickly yanked my hand out. Seconds later, my poor little thumb was gushing blood. Just as my father in law met us to escort us to our room, I was having to cup my bleeding hand to not stain the '5' star carpet. Sheesh.

My sweet Father in Law thought a bandaid would help, so of course he asked the concierge. I didn't have the heart to tell him that that little ol bandaid would not "stop the bleeding." So we rushed up to our room, and while I was cleaning my thumb up, Ian was digging through the back pack to discover the culprit. It was his razor. Darn it. Seriously! Who just throws a razor (as in- full of razor blades,) into a plastic bag? Anyways, it sliced right through the bag and my thumb, and after about 15 minutes I was all bandaged up and headed down to their cabana by the pool.

Yes, I said cabana.
And, we had a cabana boy.

Haha, actually it was more of a cabana "middle aged man," but it's all the same. I had me a pina colada smoothie (non-alc, don't fret,) and fell into a dozing stupor for the next hour or so.

We got up and had dinner at an italian place on the piazza, with a guy singing opera on the balcony above us.


It was some sort of performance.

All I cared about was my pizza however, and couldn't give a rip about what the large man with the mic was singing about. Bring on the next round!

Then we took the water taxi (isn't that cute!) to Universal City Walk, and went and saw the new Star Trek, which I really liked!

The next morning, we woke to find texts from his dad saying to order breakfast in. Faster than...um...any normal person in the morning, I recited to Ian what I wanted from room service, because, who doesn't read over the room service menu when they first check in?

The attendant came in to deliver our breakfast, as I feigned sleep, and set up a cute table and chairs by our window, for us to eat at.

Next we headed to the theme parks. I love me some good theme parks. And I am especially fond of the Florida ones, but I might be a little partial. Ian's parents also found a great deal at Costco on Universal tickets- for the price of a one day, one park ticket, they got us a 2 park, 3 month pass!

We spent the day riding rides and chatting it up with his folks.

Until......dum dum DUM...... we went to head back to CityWalk for another movie. We watched Wolverine, which was pretty good, and then I noticed my pass was missing! If you know me, or have read this blog for long, then you probably know that losing things is my biggest pet peeve. I hate feeling so irresponsible. I usually lose my head a little when I lose things, and it might be the only time you truly see me enter into panic mode. So Ian and I retraced our steps and then took the water taxi back to the hotel. By this time it was about 8 on Sunday night, and so all the offices were closed, so we couldn't find out about getting a replacement.

(for those of you who are worried like I was, don't fret. We called the next morning, and after cross checking our information, they told us it could be printed up at guest services the next time we came!)

So, naturally, we headed over to PF Chang's (one of my all time favorite places to eat!) for some Mother's Day dinner. Ian's older brother, Sid, and his fiance, Carly, and Ian's younger brother, Andrew, met us for dinner, and we ordered family style. After dinner, Ian, his parents, Andrew, and myself all headed back to home. It was a whirlwind of a 24 hours, but it really was wonderful!


katie said...

That sounds like a blast! How special of them to share it with you. And what a fun anniversary gift!

BTW: I LOVE to eat at pf changs also... Mmm mmm.

Jessica said...

Sounds like so much fun!

I really need to try PF Changs because everyone talks about how great it is. Pretty sure the closest one to us is about an hour away though :-P

Callie said...

Sounds like a really fun getaway! Don't you just love little trips lke that?